Monday, August 4, 2008

Jalapeños Family Restaurant & Lounge

For this post, I have to do a little boasting first.  Tonight was the first time my spouse and I  remembered to BYOC!  It's pretty sad to admit that my Mom gave me the idea of BYOC a few years ago, but because I get so stoked about going out to eat, I usually forget to take my own carry-out containers.  Not tonight, though!  Gold star for us!

As it turns out, I would've done fine if our carry-out containers had been forgotten--I am happy to report that Jalapeños Family Mexican Restaurant has paper clamshells for taking home your leftovers!  Gold star for them!

501 W Holly
Bellingham, WA
(360)671-3099

2 comments:

IainD said...

BTW, I've eaten their twice. And both times the leftovers were in the nice post-consumer paper take-out clam-shells. Two snaps to them for making the move. :)

I've worked on a different approach over the last year or so.

Spreading the word of "compostables" everywhere I go.
Just think, if La Fiamma Burgers implementation of 'near Zero Waste' could be done by every business in town?

Whenever, i go that serves "togo" drinks or food , I ask if they have heard of Sustainable Connections and 'Zero Waste' process.

If not, I grab a business card and forward the information to:

http://www.sconnect.org/zerowaste

Please contact April Claxton at 360-647-7093 x104 or april AT sconnect.org with any questions. ... let her know that Iain sent ya... she'll give you the royal treatment. :)

They will send them a 'Towards Zero Waste' information packet, and an opportunity for a free consultation on how to cut-down on waste.... including implementation of "Food Plus" (food/paper compost), and SSC's recycling pickup program.

I am personally 'Zero Waste' at home and at my business. The only item which is not composted or recycled... is metal/plastic food liners... chip-bags, plastic wrap.. etc.. but I'm working on finding a solution for that too. :)

G. said...

Thanks for the info, Iain! I didn't know Sustainable Connections performed that service. I'll definitely keep April's contact info handy!

I applaud your 'zero waste' lifestyle. I'm not quite at zero at home, but I do my best to aim for that. My place of work is still a big disappointment to me--mostly because the people in charge don't want to be bothered with making people think about the waste they generate. But I have no problem carrying my recyclables home with me from work just to make sure they get recycled!